Thursday, August 11, 2011

Apologies

I'm sorry I haven't updated recently-- we took a mini-vacation last weekend, and now I'm recovering from a pretty awful sunburn (don't put on sunscreen in a t-shirt if you're going to be in a swimsuit). 


Not much has happened, construction-wise. Our roof is now painted with white elastomeric (rubberized) paint, both to waterproof any little things we may have missed, and to better reflect the sun away. Our bathroom..is functional, but not painted. That's my job, but since I can't reach above shoulder level right now, it will have to wait. 


At this point, since we have been living in here for a while, I can say there are a few things I would have done differently. 


  • Use a new container. The dents/dings/wavy walls and uneven floor have lead to noticeable "offness" in the finished house. Not much, and I doubt someone who hasn't seen every inch of this house inside and out for the past 3 months would notice it, but I do. 
  • Mock up the interior dimensions with string and see what you actually have to work with, furniture-wise. It turns out our planned sitting/dining room area just wouldn't fit two people in chairs, with room to walk around. What we have now isn't bad, just not what we thought we would have. so, we have an awkward outlet up on a wall that the t.v. will no longer be covering.
  • Don't do it in the middle of summer. Now that we're in finish and clean-up mode, it's very hard to get up and go outside when your home is all lovely and comfortable!
  • Carpet, maybe. With three cats, a long-haired dog, and the desert dust, mopping and dusting is a daily chore, and when it's not done, the floors look very messy. With carpeting, you could go a bit longer aesthetically, but then you'd be grinding dirt into your floors..
  • More skylights! I love our 'atrium dining room' and wish we had the forethought to put one in the hallway as well.
I will update later tonight when things have been cleaned up (and the laundry is done and put away!) so you can see what we're working with currently. It's not perfect, or done, but very very close. 

No comments:

Post a Comment